Tools to have on hand:
- Small nylon grout brush
- EasyOxy Cleaner
- Finishing Touch Ultra
- Diluted Bleach – 4oz to a 32oz squirt bottle of water (not for polished surfaces)
- Traverfill or Tenax Travertine Filler
- MB11 Etch Remover
- Microfiber towels
- Appropriate Safety Gear
Evaluate Surfaces to and prepare to begin maintenance:
- Check all grout areas especially around back splash. Repair gaps immediately with non-sanded grout or the appropriately colored silicone caulking.
- Evaluate the surface for holes, etches, and other damage. Fill holes immediately to prevent them from getting dirty over time and being difficult to fill in the future. You can use Traverfill for honed (low shine) surfaces. Traverfill comes in light or dark. Use Tenax Travertine Filler can be used for either polished or honed surfaces.
- Traverfill -Clean the holes out with a nylon toothbrush or rag and a solvent or cleaner. Mix Traverfill as directed by the manufacturer to a peanut butter consistency. Using a plastic putty knife or a margin float apply the Traverfilll to the surface. Jam it into the hole and scrape off a few times to make sure the hole is completely full. On the last scrape leave the Traverfill slightly above the surface. Allow to dry and scrape with a blade. This should bring the filler to flush. Remove residues with a damp sponge.
- Tenax Travertine Filler – Clean the holes out with a nylon toothbrush or rag and a solvent or cleaner. Scoop a small amount of Tenax Travertine Filleronto a piece of card board with a putty knife. Mix the filler on the cardboard to loosen it. Squirt a small amount of hardener on an out of the way surface. Separate a small amount of filler and mix with a small amount of hardener (50:1). Take a new razor blade and apply the filler into the hole a few different directions making sure to completely fill the hole. Crape the surface to as flush as possible. Allow to harden for 20 minutes. Wipe the surface with acetone and a rag.
- After use, dry the surface especially between the fixtures. This will prevent the hard water corrosion that diminishes the shine and leaves crusty residues around the fixtures.
- Use coasters and trays for all cosmetics, toothpaste, and soap. Keeping these items off the surface will reduce the need for professional maintenance.
- Spray the surface with EasyOxy as necessary and buff clean with Microfiber cloth.
- Use EasyOxy on the counter, fixtures, and sink bowl.
- Use Finishing Touch Ultra as often as needed to maintain the shine and condition the surface.
When Etches Happen:
- Use MB-11 to on to remove etches from polished counters. It is not a replacement for professional services, but will remove light and even moderate etching and return the surface to near new condition.